Facts About Feeding Radicchio To Bearded Dragons
Bearded dragon owners have concerns about nutritional food choices to make in their bearded dragons’ diets. One of these foods might be radicchio. Can bearded dragons eat radicchio?
The short answer is yes. Bearded dragons can eat radicchio, but it should be in the form of an occasional treat.
This article will discuss radicchio, its health benefits and risks, and other relevant information about radicchio and bearded dragons.
What Is Radicchio?
Radicchio is a part of the chicory family and is sometimes called Italian chicory. This most common variety of intensely flavored vegetables can easily pass as lettuce with its bright wine-colored leaves with bright white-colored veins. Regarding the taste, it is bitter and, some may say, a bit spicy
Nutritional Profile Of Radicchio
To fully understand its suitability for your bearded dragon, you must know precisely what it consists of.
The Nutritional Value Of 100G Radicchio
|Vitamin B6||0.057 mg|
|Vitamin C||8 mg|
|Vitamin E||2.26 mg|
|Vitamin K||255.2 ug|
Now that you have seen the nutritional content of radicchio, it is essential to understand what this even means for your bearded dragon. Keep reading for more information about known health benefits and other related information.
Benefits Of Radicchio In A Bearded Dragon’s Diet
Radicchio is a good source of antioxidants that strengthen a bearded dragon’s immune and digestive system.
Low In Fat
This is a plant-based food source and has a low-fat content as per the above table. This content regulates your bearded dragon’s weight.
Great Source Of Vitamin K, Copper, And Zinc
This leafy vegetable is a great source of vitamin K, zinc, and copper. Vitamin K aids with blood clotting and cell and tissue maintenance. It is essential for healing cuts and wounds.
The use of chicory extract acts as an antiparasitic, meaning it fends off parasites.
Risks Of Feeding Radicchio To Bearded Dragons
The chicory root has been known to have mild laxative effects and digestive side effects.
I have not seen any proven studies that suggest this is the same for bearded dragons, but itis worth knowing.
Radicchio has low-calorie content. This is s not necessarily bad if it provides other nutrients to compensate.
There is disproportionate calcium to phosphorous ratio in radicchio, which means the phosphorous offsets the calcium. Phosphorus binds with calcium, preventing absorption into the bearded dragon’s bloodstream.
In the long term, diets high in phosphorous with insufficient calcium will lead to bone deterioration or metabolic bone disease (MBD).
MBD is a horrible yet sadly common disease that wears away a dragon’s skeletal structure and causes weakness, deformity, and paralysis. It can kill your dragon if left untreated.
Alert your vet immediately if you notice any signs of metabolic bone disease in your bearded dragon. These include:
- Lack of appetite
- Lethargy and weakness
- Receded lower jaw
- Swollen limbs and jaw
- Bumps along the spine or bones
- Soft jaw, and facial bones
- Bowed limbs and arched spine
- Fractures and broken bones
- Greenstick fractures (folded or bent bones)
- Trembling and twitching limbs
- Tremors and seizures
- Paralysis or difficulty moving
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Radicchio?
Baby bearded dragons are more vulnerable to nutrient deficiencies than adult dragons are due to their fast growth cycle. Therefore, baby bearded dragons need to get the best nutrition to grow healthy.
With that said, and because they consume more insects than adult beardies, we recommend you focus their limited vegetable intake on other food sources.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Radicchio?
Radicchio should be fed once a week only to a healthy bearded dragon. So you should not be providing bearded dragons with lots of radicchios even if they like it. Too much radicchio is harmful to many bearded dragons and can cause illness.
Preparing Radicchio For Your Bearded Dragon
If you do decide to serve your beardie radicchio, you should know how to do it.
Mixing with other food sources
The radicchio should only represent a small portion of any meal. Therefore, it needs to be mixed with other nutritional vegetables. Also, you may even serve it with feeder insects at the same time.
Preparing the radicchio
To make the radicchio more appetizing, you should chop it up into small pieces. To prevent bearded pets from choking, never serve them food pieces bigger than the distance between their eyes.
Serving the radicchio and monitor
Now that you have it all chopped up and mixed with other vegetables, you can serve it to your bearded dragon. As with any other food, it is essential to monitor how your bearded dragon responds to the radicchio. You must remove any leftover food from your bearded dragon’s enclosure.
Although bearded dragons can eat radicchio, you must keep it as a treat rather than a staple food. Radicchio offers little nutritional benefits and poor calcium to phosphorus ratio. We recommend mixing the radicchio with other foods high in nutrients, such as collard greens.
Continually research food you wish to introduce into your bearded dragon’s diet. Food that seems the healthiest could have hidden risks. If you are unsure, please contact your vet for advice.
Continue to read our main article “What do Bearded Dragons Eat?” for all the ins and outs on general diet questions, and get a further detailed breakdown of other popular foods in the articles below:
- Can Bearded Dragons eat tomatoes?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat oranges?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat parsley?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat blackberries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pumpkin?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pineapple?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cantaloupe?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat green beans?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cherries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat asparagus?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat mango?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cauliflower?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat avocado?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat brussel-sprouts?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat collard-greens?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat wax-worms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat dandelions?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat nightcrawlers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat earthworms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat eggs?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat basil?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat peaches?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat grasshoppers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat sweet potato?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat hornworms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Mice?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Cucumbers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Cabbage?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Kale?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Bell Peppers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Broccoli?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Meat?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Onions?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Ants?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mint?
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mustard Greens?