Unscrambling The Pros And Cons Of Eggs For Bearded Dragons
Can bearded dragons eat eggs? If so, should they be raw, scrambled, or boiled? Well, we know that your bearded dragon will likely consume eggs if offered. Bearded dragons can eat eggs but, it must be kept in moderation.
This article will take a closer look at chicken eggs and the pros and cons of feeding them to your bearded dragon. Read on if you want to learn more about feeding your exotic pet chicken eggs.
Benefits Of Feeding Your Bearded Dragons Eggs
Adult bearded dragons can safely eat up to half an egg once per week at most. Babies and juvenile bearded dragons can consume more because of higher protein requirements.
Eggs can help your bearded dragon meet some of its protein requirements. It also provides a range of minerals and vitamins to support their health. Eggs can also assist malnourished bearded dragons with weight gain.
Perks of including eggs in your bearded dragon’s diet include:
Baby bearded dragons need significantly more protein in their diet than juvenile and adult bearded dragons. Eggs remain an essential nutrient for all bearded dragons, regardless of age. Protein helps with growth and development, energy levels, muscle and organ function, bone health, and a healthy immune system.
Eggs are a great source of Vitamin D, which bearded dragons need to process calcium. Without processing calcium, bearded dragons’ bone structure can become soft and deformed. They can even die from a condition called metabolic bone disease.
Eggs also provide a healthy dose of Vitamin A, promoting healthy skin, a healthy immune system, and good vision.
Vitamin B12 boosts metabolism, energy levels, and brain function. It is also a good source of iron vital for a baby bearded dragon’s development.
Eggs are high in antioxidants, which fight the damage of free radicals in the body.
The antioxidants help maintain healthy skin and prevent the onset of certain cancers.
Nutrients Found In Eggs?
Eggs are probably one of the most nutritious meal sources when eaten in appropriate amounts. Eggs can provide many nutrients to your bearded dragon but are too high in protein and fat to serve as a staple in their diet.
Nutritional Value of Eggs
|Nutrient||Chicken Egg (50g)|
Dangers of Feeding Bearded Dragons Eggs
The protein level in eggs is incredibly high and eating eggs as well as protein-packed feeder insects. Too much protein in your bearded dragon’s diet can cause health issues such as
- Fatty Liver Disease
- Heart Failure.
The only exception to the limit egg rule is when it seems that your bearded dragon is malnourished. We recommend, however, that you take your bearded dragon to the vet before introducing additional protein.
Can Your Bearded Dragon Eat Scrambled Eggs?
Bearded dragons can safely eat scrambled eggs as long as butter, milk, and seasonings have not been added. Offer the scrambled egg plain and cold. When offering scrambled eggs to your bearded dragon, remember the following points:
- Adult bearded dragons should eat no more than half an egg at a time.
- If you’re scrambling eggs, do not add additional ingredients.
- You can serve scrambled eggs with staple veggies. Do not cook the veggies with the scrambled egg.
- It is best to feed your dragon eggs from free-range, grass-fed chickens. This also applies to hard-boiled eggs.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Raw Eggs?
We do not recommend that you feed your bearded dragon raw egg. Raw eggs can carry bacteria and germs, which can cause digestive upset and other health problems.
Bearded dragons can eat egg yolks as long as they have been boiled, poached, or cooked in the microwave. Egg yolks contain many of the nutrients in an egg. Be aware of how much egg yolk you give your pet bearded dragon because the yolk is the most calorie-dense part of the egg
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Eggshells?
Bearded dragon owners can feed eggshell to their beardies, and they can benefit from the high amounts of calcium contained. Let’s look at the safety issues of eggshells when offered
To your bearded.
- Bacteria. Eggshells can contain harmful bacteria that will make your dragon sick.
- Dangerous to swallow. Eggshells would have to be ground into a powder to be safe for your bearded dragon to consume. The bits and pieces of eggshells can scratch your beardie’s throat and cause choking or gut impaction.
- Too much calcium. Even if you decide to feed your bearded dragon powdered eggshells, it is hard to determine how much your beardie consumes. It is easier to dust their feeder insects with a calcium supplement.
Preparing Eggs For Your Bearded Dragon
If you decide to feed your bearded dragon eggs, there are a couple of ways to do so. Before you feed bearded dragons eggs, you should never:
- Feed eggs raw,
- Cook them in fat such as oil or butter
- Add seasoning, sauces, or spices.
Poaching or gently boiling is recommended, along with whisking the egg plain in a bowl and microwaving it for a few minutes.
Make sure you let the cooked egg cool. Cut the cooked eggs into bite-size pieces and mix them into your beardies regular diet and salad bowl.
Your bearded dragon can also eat hard-boiled eggs in moderation. You must also cut boiled eggs into small pieces before being fed to your bearded dragon.
Bearded dragons can eat eggs. Although they are a good source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, they should be offered sparingly due to their high protein and fat content. We suggest that you include dandelions and collard greens.
Always read about the different foods you want to introduce into your pet bearded dragon’s diet because even the healthiest food can have risk factors.
Continue to read our main article “What do Bearded Dragons Eat?” for all the ins and outs on general diet questions, and get a further detailed breakdown of other popular foods in the articles below:
- Can Bearded Dragons eat tomatoes?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat oranges?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat parsley?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat blackberries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pumpkin?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pineapple?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cantaloupe?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat green beans?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cherries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat asparagus?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat mango?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cauliflower?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat avocado?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat brussel-sprouts?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat collard-greens?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat wax-worms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat dandelions?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat nightcrawlers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat earthworms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cicadas?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat basil?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat peaches?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat grasshoppers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat sweet potato?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat hornworms?