Can Bearded Dragons Give Celery A Shot Or Not?
Celery is a vegetable that is great in salads, soup, or even on its own as an in-between snack. Crunching down on raw celery, we are sure that your mind must have started to wonder: can bearded dragons eat celery?
The short answer is, yes, bearded dragons can consume salary every other week or so.
In this article, we want to focus on the nutritional benefits and risks of celery in your bearded dragon diet.
Nutritional Information Of Celery
Nutritional Information for 100 Grams of Celery
|Total Lipid||0.17 g|
|Vitamin C||3.1 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 ug|
|Vitamin B6||0.074 mg|
|Vitamin A RAE||22 ug|
|Vitamin A IU||449 ug|
|Beta Carotene||270 ug|
|Vitamin E||10.27 mg|
|Vitamin K||29.3 ug|
Celery has surprising nutritional value, including anti-inflammatory properties and healthy calcium to phosphorus ratio. To find out more about celery’s advantages and disadvantages, read on.
Benefits Of Feeding Bearded Dragons Celery
Low In Sugar
Celery have a low sugar content, which is good. Therefore, adding it to the menu will prevent your dragon from obesity and an upset digestive system. It will also prevent the development of tooth and gum problems.
Promote Heart Health and Reduce Inflammation
The antioxidants and flavonoid components in celery help prevent inflammation and enhance the bearded dragon’s heart health.
Ideal Calcium-Phosphorus Ratio
Beardies require calcium and phosphorous for growth, development, and healthy bones. However, it’s essential to maintain the correct calcium to phosphorous ratio. The ideal range is 1:1 to 2:1.
Excess phosphorous in some veggies can prevent calcium absorption into the dragon’s body.
Therefore, bearded dragons must consume more calcium than phosphorous, a ratio that can be hard to achieve with other veggies. Fortunately, celery contains the ideal calcium-phosphorous ratio at 1:6 to 1.
Celery mainly consists of water, and since it can be a challenge for your lizard friend to drink water from a bowl, celery can help with hydration. You should be aware that too much water can lead to an upset stomach or diarrhea.
Vitamins and Minerals
Celery has vitamins and minerals such as Beta Carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K; however, in small amounts. These invaluable components will strengthen your beardies’ growth, reproduction system, vision, and immune system.
Since baby beardies eat more insects than plants, they quickly use their Vitamin A. Feeding them celery will help replace the depleted vitamin levels and promote their development.
Risks Of Too Much Celery In Bearded Dragon’s Diets
Unfortunately, celery has disadvantages.
Celery has substantial amounts of oxalates. Oxalates bind with calcium and prevent absorption, leading to kidney stones and metabolic bone disease. Your bearded dragon can become sick or die from too much celery.
If you are careful about how much celery and other oxalate-high or phosphorus-rich foods you feed your beardie, there is no need to worry about this!
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Celery?
Yes, baby bearded dragons can eat celery, but only a tiny amount once a month.
Bearded dragon juveniles are much more resilient to the effects of calcium-binding substances like oxalates.
It is also essential for young bearded dragons the get meals with a high nutritional value.
We do not recommend that you feed baby bearded dragon celery more than once a month.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Celery?
If you are careful about your pet lizard’s calcium intake already and want to sprinkle some celery for the benefits it does provide; you can proceed.
We recommend that you only make them a celery salad once or twice a month.
We recommend mixing it with more nutritious foods like collard greens, swiss chard, kale, and other veggies.
How To Prepare Celery For Bearded Dragons
When you decide to feed celery to your bearded dragon, follow these easy steps:
When buying celery for your bearded dragon, try and keep it organic as far as possible. Organic veggies are free of pesticides and herbicides that can make your bearded dragon sick
Wash the celery thoroughly under clean running water to get rid of any dirt or chemicals.
Raw is Good
Vegetables lose some of their nutrition during the cooking process, and luckily, raw is good with celery. The celery leaves and celery stalk are safe for your bearded dragon to consume.
Chop the celery stalks and celery leaves into fine pieces to avoid giving a choking hazard to your bearded friend.
Mix the celery with other fruit, vegetables, and feeder insects to make a yummy salad bowl for your bearded dragon.
Celery is safe and healthy to include in your beardies’ menu as long as it’s in small amounts and occasional. Ensure that it is raw and in tiny pieces when you let your bearded dragon eat celery.
As a bearded dragon owner, you must always research the new food you want to introduce to your bearded dragon. Even food that seems the most nutritional can be dangerous for your bearded dragon.
If you remain unsure, please ask your vet for advice.
Continue to read our main article “What do Bearded Dragons Eat?” for all the ins and outs on general diet questions, and get a further detailed breakdown of other popular foods in the articles below:
- Can Bearded Dragons eat tomatoes?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat oranges?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat parsley?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat blackberries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pumpkin?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat pineapple?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cantaloupe?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat green beans?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cherries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat asparagus?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat mango?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat cauliflower?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat avocado?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat brussel-sprouts?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat collard-greens?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat wax-worms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat dandelions?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat nightcrawlers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat earthworms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat eggs?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat basil?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat peaches?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat grasshoppers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat sweet potato?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat hornworms?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Mice?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Cucumbers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Cabbage?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Kale?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Bell Peppers?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Broccoli?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Meat?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Aloe?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Radishes?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat Bananas?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat plums?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat chicken?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat strawberries?
- Can Bearded Dragons eat spinach?