image of bearded dragons, tangerines and a text saying: can bearded dragons eat tangerines

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Tangerines?

Written by: Akeem Eletu
Last updated on:
image Bearded Dragon

Tangerines for Bearded Dragons; Taboo or not?

Tangerines are citric fruits that are plentiful and enjoyed regularly.

Can bearded dragons eat tangerines? 

The answer is NO! You should never feed  your bearded dragons eat tangerines. 

This citrus fruit contains too much sugar and is too acidic for your pet.  It is harmful to your pet.

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Tangerines?

NO and for two main reasons:

Excessively Sugary

Tangerines are excessively sugary that could lead to tooth decay and other health problems for your bearded dragon’s digestive system. 

Citric Acid

Bearded dragons cannot handle tangerines because of its high acidic level.  It will make them sick.  Do not feed them tangerines.

You might also like: Can Bearded Dragons Eat Leeks?

Risks of Feeding Tangerines to Your Bearded Dragon

image of bearded dragons and tangerines

Heartburn, Diarrhea and Dehydration

Tangerines are rich in citric acid and your bearded dragon can suffer from heartburn, causing the stomach lining to become irritated if they eat it. 

Diarrhea and dehydration are other effects your beardie may experience.

Eating tangerines can also prevent your bearded dragon from ingesting other needed nutrients into its bloodstream.

Metabolic Bone Diseases

Tangerines, like other citric fruits, are rich in oxalic acid. The compound, calcium oxalate, is a combination of oxalic acid and calcium. 

Calcium oxalate reduces the level of calcium in your beardie which can lead to metabolic bone disease.  Symptoms include deformities, soft bones, and paralysis. 

Metabolic bone disease is not always fatal but it usually has serious health effects. 


Tangerine’s sweetness can cause your pet to become obese because of its addictive nature. This high level of sugar can also cause fatty liver diseases and heart failure. 

Should You Give Feeder Insects Which Consume Tangerines To Your Bearded Dragon?

Insects can break down everything they eat in tangerines, including acids, into less harmful substances to get nutrients like calcium. 

So if you feed your feeder insects tangerines, you can also feed them to your beardies because they would have already broken down the fruit acids in their systems. 

But do not feed the insects tangerines often. About once or twice per week is enough.

You might also like: Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dill?

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Tangerine Peel?

image of tangerine

No, bearded dragons should not eat tangerine peels. 

Although tangerine peels are rich in calcium and do not have the high sugar level the fruit itself has, they contain oxalic acid, which reduces the calcium level in bearded dragons. 

The peels do not have a soft and comfortable texture. You can be sure that your bearded dragon will have a tough time chewing these peels. 

Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Tangerine?

The answer to this is an emphatic NO. 

Do not feed your baby beardies tangerine. They are too sweet and acidic for your baby beardies to handle.  Insects and other calcium and protein-rich foods are what baby beardies need at this early stage.

Can Baby Beardies Eat Other Fruits?

70% of their staple food should be live insects and the other 30% vegetables. 

You can feed them any safe fruit but very sparingly. 

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Other Fruits?

Although tangerines are off the menu, other fruits are still an option. 

Many non-citrus fruits like Mango, Papaya, Apples, and peeled bananas  will do. 

Leafy greens such as turnip greens, mustard greens, green beans, dandelion greens and other foods with great nutritional value are also appropriate but in small portions.

Final Thoughts

As pet owners, the goal of a healthy diet is to help your bearded dragon stay safe and healthy. You can do this by knowing what and what not to include in its regular diet.

Ensure your bearded dragon’s diet is full of nutrient-rich food rather than sugary treats that can reduce its lifespan.

Our Latest Posts

can sugar gliders eat avocado
can sugar gliders eat broccoli
can sugar gliders eat blackberries
can sugar gliders eat oranges
can sugar gliders eat celery
what fruits can sugar gliders eat